Learn to connect with your Millennial using these tips.
If you’re a Baby Boomer who often feels frustrated with or confused by your adult child, you’re not alone! There are a number of differences between your generation and Millennials that can make it difficult to get on the same page.
Notable difference between Baby Boomers and Millennials include:
- Baby Boomers have become more conservative as they
age,while Millennials are generally more liberal.
- Baby Boomers were born into the post-war boom, but Millennials entered adulthood when the economy was struggling. Many are carrying copious amounts of student debt and have had trouble finding work out of college thanks to the Great Recession.
- Growing up during the digital revolution, Millennials expect instant access to answers to their questions and may not rely on others to get them.
The good news is that these differences don’t have to drive you apart! You can connect with your Millennial son or daughter by using these tips.
- Learn to respect the differences. Your son or daughter grew up in a very different world than you did, so it’s okay that your worldviews, economic expectations, or social guidelines may not necessarily line up. Ask your kids about their experiences, perspectives, and memories that have shaped their values; you may connect in the process!
- Offer wisdom without criticism. If you can learn to gently let your kids know you’re here for them, they’ll be much more open to your advice!
- Let it go. You may have had a vision for how your children would be as adults that
hasled to disappointment in the present. Don’t let what could have been keepyou from enjoying what you have right in front of you.
Adjusting to parenting adult children is difficult. Would you like to talk to someone about how you can better your relationship with your son or daughter? If so, contact Community Presbyterian Counseling Center in San Ramon, California. We’re here to listen to your unique situation and help you find a solution that will foster healthier family dynamics. We want to help you connect with your Millennial children!